Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures using the appropriate tools and equipment for the task.
- Properly follow all company policies and OSHA/MSHA regulations for safe working procedures and environment. Report any problems to the Foreman, Superintendent, Safety Manager, or Human Resources Manager.
- Assist construction/paving crew with various duties such as; shoveling and raking, running wheelbarrow, safely backing/dumping trucks into paver.
- Signal operators of construction equipment to facilitate alignment, movement, and materials with shovel.
- Follow direction of Foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific project or jobsite.
- May be called upon to run small power tools such as jack hammer.
- Digs, spreads, and levels construction materials.
- Lifts, carries and holds material, tools and supplies.
- Assists in the placement, moving and dismantling of signs, barricades, cones and other traffic control devices.
- Regular and predictable attendance at assigned times is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- High school diploma or General Education Degree GED is preferred.
- Previous related experience in the construction field.
- Must be 18 years in age or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal background check.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Must be willing to travel and work away from home when required.
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Individuals are required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) in designated operations and production areas as stated by OSHA and/or MSHA. Protective equipment that may be required, but not limited to, for this position is: Face Shield, Safety (hard toe) Shoes, and Coveralls.
- Compliance with all OSHA and/or MSHA regulations.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and tools involved in construction and paving.
- Ability to read, write and do basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely.
- CDL preferred but not required.
- Ability to operate various types of heavy equipment that may include but not limited to Truck, Car, Loader, Backhoe, and Asphalt Paving Equipment.