Plans and performs preventive maintenance and emergency repairs on plumbing systems. Maintains the inspection backflow preventer and boilers database.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains and repairs general plumbing components to include toilets, urinals, faucets, hose bibs, and drains.
- Installs, repairs, or replaces domestic hot and cold water lines.
- Repairs and replaces steam to hot water exchangers for major building heating systems and pools.
- Repairs and replaces pneumatic steam valves, radiator valves, traps, and steam and condensate pipes.
- Repairs and replaces domestic hot water heat pumps, chilled water pumps, sump pumps, and sewage pumps.
- Installs, tests, and repairs all sizes of backflow prevention devices.
- Leads troubleshooting efforts and repairs steam, water, and gas distribution systems.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Provides sketches and dimensions used by drafters to create plans for subcontractor work.
- Researches catalogs and vendor services for complex and/or customized system retrofits.
- Interprets and applies mechanical and structural blueprints to plan plumbing repairs and modifications.
- In coordination with management, assigns to and tracks corrective and preventive maintenance tasks given to subordinate plumbers.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis. High school diploma or GED; at least 7 years of trades experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. A current New Mexico Journeyman Plumber's License, and a Journeyman Gas License and/or equivalent military experience. Must possess one of the following New Mexico Contractors licenses MM98, MM1 or MM2.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Plumbing installation, maintenance, and repair skills.
- Knowledge of steam, water, and natural gas distribution systems maintenance and repair.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to lead others in troubleshooting and emergency repairs.
- Ability to develop and implement planned maintenance programs.
- Ability to read, understand, and follows safety procedures.
- Position Requires: a) Estimate jobs, layout and material selection; b) Interpret plumbing and mechanical system building prints; c) Lead troubleshooting and repair efforts on steam, water, gas distribution system components and backflow prevention devices; d) Troubleshoot sewage systems; e) Lead junior technicians in complex repair work.
Conditions of Employment
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Possession of a valid New Mexico driver's license is a requirement for this job.
- Successful candidate must submit to post-offer, pre-employment physical examination and medical history check.
- This position is represented by a labor union and is subject to the terms and conditions of the CWA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of job.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
- Work involves almost constant exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemicals, biohazardous materials, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises.